New Mexico experiences a lot of sunny days, but the climate is quite mild. However, there are months when the weather gets really hot. And if you reside in one of the historic homes, you may think it is impossible to install air conditioning.
Because of the age and design, some buildings do not have ductwork. But if you already have ductwork for heating, these guys can help you choose a suitable cooler. Even if your building has no ductwork, no worries, there is still something for you. Let’s explore your options.
AC Options for New Mexicans
Here are AC options for different homes in New Mexico:
Central Cooling System (Refrigerated Air)
A central cooler can make your current heat ductwork function as a cooling and heating unit. You only need to replace it with dual-mode ductwork to enjoy the benefits of refrigerated air during the hot months in New Mexico. You can also switch between cooling and heating as needed.
In the morning, when the weather is a bit cool, you can turn on the furnace, and then switch to the AC when the weather becomes hot. An air conditioner offers comfort to you and your family. Therefore, it is a worthy investment. As a bonus, it greatly increases the value of your property if you plan to sell it later. Modern air conditioning systems come with a warranty that spans several years, depending on the manufacturer.
Highlights of Central Cooling System
- Reduces allergies
- Reduces humidity/moisture during the monsoon season
- Increases the potential for cooling
- Improves the quality of indoor air
- Reduces electric bill
- Requires less maintenance
Evaporative Cooling Unit (Swamp Cooler)
This type is quite popular in hotter areas of New Mexico due to its effectiveness and price flexibility. It evaporates water particles in the air and moves cool air into your home. In dry areas, it can reduce the temperature by 10-15 degrees. However, it is not compatible with humid places due to how evaporation works.
In areas of high humidity, when evaporation takes place, the temperature of the surrounding air remains the same. As a result, the air moving into your home will be warm and wet, creating a conducive environment for the growth of mold. The moisture can also lead to deterioration and rusting.
Therefore, an evaporative cooling unit is more suitable for desert dwellers. You may want to read this article to find out how to reduce moisture in your cooler.
Highlights of Evaporative Cooling Unit
- Environmentally friendly
- Makes your home or workplace comfortable
- Saves energy through ventilation and cooling the surrounding air
- Good quality indoor air
- The cost of the investment is subsidized due to the sustainable technique involved
- Ideal for hot, dry climates
Window AC Unit
If your home does not have any ductwork, you still have an option. A window unit varies in size and price and fits on any window. Although it is cost-effective, it makes a lot of noise. It may also obstruct the use and view of your window and consumes much electricity. The cheaper brands will cool only the areas where they are installed while the costly units can perform like central cooling units.
Highlights of Window AC Unit
- Easy installation
- The unit is quite noisy but an expensive model produces less noise
- Reduces the quantity of natural light flowing into your home
- Quite insecure as burglars can steal the unit or enter your apartment through the window
The mini-split or ductless AC does not require a window. You can install it on a wall, so you can set it at your desired temperature when you are inside the room. Although a ductless AC unit has high installation costs, it is energy efficient. Sometimes, it is the only option for buildings without ductwork.
Highlights of Ductless System
- It can cool different rooms at once
- Flexible installation – you can hang it on the wall or suspend it from the ceiling
- It operates quietly
- Keeps you safe from burglars since your window won’t be open
- It is quite expensive (about two times the cost of a window AC)
- Easy to maintain (check out https://www.doityourself.com/stry/4-tips-for-maintaining-your-ductless-air-conditioner to get maintenance tips)
When summer is around the corner, New Mexicans must protect themselves from the heat. One way to do so is to ensure their air conditioning units are functional. There are different AC units depending on the building, whether you own it or it is rented, and the climate. We discussed each air conditioning option, highlighting the pros and cons.