Home repair activities can sometimes require you to drill through metal to get the job done. It is, however, worth noting that drilling through metal is not an easy thing, and the usual drill bits may not help you. You need to have knowledge of how to find the best drill bits for metal, so you can do the job well. But remember that not only you need one, but also one that will get the job done easily, and can be used many more times in the future when such work arises.
If you are in a hurry, the Dewalt DW1354 is our top pick for best quality drill bits for metal.
In this article, we take a review of some of the most popular drill bits for metal that you can find in leading online giants like Amazon. Specifically, we review top selected drill bits for metal, give reasons why you would need a drill bit, explore commonly used materials for metal drill bits, explain the art of choosing the best drill bit, and finally give you useful tips for using one after you purchase. You need such information when looking for a drill bit for metal. Remember that getting the best is only possible if you understand what you need, as well as the process of getting it. Without further ado here we go:
- Top Five Selected Best Drill Bits for Metal
- Why You Need Good Drill Bits for Metal
- Materials Used for Drill Bits for Metal and Why You Should Know Them
- Guide to Choosing The Best Quality Drill Bit For Your Needs
- Top Tips for Using Drill Bits to Avoid Breaking
- Wrap Up – Conclusion
Top Five Selected Best Drill Bits for Metal
Getting the best drill bit for your project means selecting the best one among the top ones currently sold in the market. Here are top five selected drill bits for metal that you can consider:
#1: DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set – Top Pick
The DEWALT drill bit tops our list for several reasons. First, its heavy-duty titanium pilot makes it durable, and it is up to its drilling task. Also, when it comes to using, the fact that it starts on contact creates cleaner holes. Furthermore, its tapered web plays a vital role and reduces breakage. In a nutshell, DEWALT DW1354 14-Piece Titanium Drill Bit Set has all the features of a great drilling tool that not only does a good job, but also stands the test of time, unlike many other brands that may not be that great.
- Its titanium coating gives it a longer life compared to other types
- You can use it for commercial as well as residential applications
- They fit and work well with any standard drill you have including electric standard drills
- Can be prone to rust if not kept well especially after use
#2: Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
Made with high-speed steel coated with titanium, Neiko drill bit is no doubt among the top drill bits for metal that you can buy, and trust it to do a good job. Aside from that, its unique two-flute design allows particles produced when drilling to escape easily. Furthermore, its 135° Splint Point doubles its cutting speed hence making it a highly efficient and effective speed. Most importantly, you can drill into anything right from plastics to sheet metal with it, and expect excellent results.
- It is specially constructed from the traditional HSS technology and enhanced with titanium coating for greater durability
- Gives a clean drill operation, and works faster
- Can superheat if it is not used well especially when doing hard drilling jobs
#3: Vastar Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
The Vastar Titanium Step Drill Bit Set is another great option that comes with a two-fluted design for superfast and smoother drilling. Also, the fact that is made of high-quality and strong m2 steel makes it stronger, and with a greater lifespan. Most importantly, you can use it on metal, plastic and wood surfaces, and still expect a job well done. It is also worth noting that unlike many other brands, this drill bit has an adjustable cap that regulates the striking force. You have the freedom to determine the speed of work, and the nature of the end product.
- It has titanium coating like the others hence strong durability
- Provides smoother cutting when used under the right pressure
- Has a wide range of uses
- Extra care might be necessary when using it on metallic surfaces
#4: IRWIN Metal Countersink Drill Bit Set
IRWIN Metal Countersink Drill Bit Set is another drill bit for metal that you can acquire as it works best on metal, wood, and plastic surfaces. It is made of steel and is highly durable when used correctly while following the recommended procedures. For corrosion resistance, the drill bit has a black oxide finish. These and other features make it distinct and one of the best drill bits sets for metal that one should consider when making a purchase decision.
- It is sharp and perfectly suitable for drilling needs
- Highly durable since they are made of industrial-grade steel
- May not work well with excessive pressure
- You have to pay more but the extra amount is worth it
#5: DEWALT Black Oxide Drill Bit Set
If you want an easy to use a drill bit, then the DEWALT Black Oxide Drill Bit Set could be what you have been looking for in the market. Its black oxide finish gives it an added layer of protection against wear specifically rust. Also, for more strength, the drill bit has a parabolic flute design. Other features include a tough case, sliding soft grip, split-point design among others.
- Excellent quality and comes in a great tough case for ease of carrying
- You can sharpen them depending on your needs
- May not be as sharp as wanted sometimes
- The coating can come off if used improperly hence exposing it
Why You Need Good Drill Bits for Metal
Even before diving into other details about drill bits for metal, it would be great to ask yourself why you would need one in the first place. Well, there are several things that can require you to use a drill bit for metal. First, many everyday home repair activities require you to drill through metal to fix whatever problem you have. Aside from that, you may also want to drill through metal for ornamental reasons. For instance, you may want to create an intricate pattern on a ring or piece of jewelry. All these and other activities require the use of drill bits.
Drilling through metal is, however, not an easy task. Furthermore, not any drill bit sold outside there in the market or online store can do the job well. There are specific bits designed for that job, and you can only get them if you know what it takes to find one. You wanna buy something that will get the job done the way you want it. Once you have it at your fingertips, you will no doubt find the best drill bit for metal for your needs. That said, if your working material is hardened steel then you should consider drill bits for hardened steel.
Materials Used for Drill Bits for Metal and Why You Should Know Them
Different materials can be used to make drill bits and as a buyer, you not only need to understand top brands but should also know the materials used. Materials determine among many things, the accuracy of the hole you drill, the durability of your drill bit, smoothness/roughness of the hole, and many other things. It is, therefore, great to have knowledge of the materials since they have a great impact on your work. Here is a link to a great site that explores types of drill bits and materials used: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-drill-bits-for-drilling-metal
Guide to Choosing The Best Quality Drill Bit For Your Needs
Although it may seem to be an easy job, choosing the right bit to drill metal can be a bit tricky especially if you do go about the process in the right way. Besides that, many people do not know that the important features that should help you to narrow down are not always printed on the box. Therefore, a good buyer should research well before browsing online to search for a drill bit to purchase. Here are a couple of great features to check when buying a drill bit:
- Intended Purpose
What do you intend to drill? What kind of metal is it? Once you answer this, getting the best drill bit will be a very simple task for you. In fact, it is your intended purpose that will guide your choice process. You cannot buy something designed for wood yet what you want to drill is a metal. It is, therefore, vital to be clear on the intended purpose.
- Shank Design
Drill bit shanks are designed differently, and you need to understand that when you are choosing one among the many options available. Some shanks are designed for high speed, others in a way that reduces slippage, and some are also designed to keep the drill bit from spinning especially at high speeds. It is, therefore, great to understand this, so you make the right decision.
- Price of the Drill Bit
Different drill bits are priced differently, and there is something you can learn from the prices. In most cases, highly-priced drill bits are highly-quality. Apart from doing their work well, they also tend to last longer. On the other hand, cheaper ones can also send a message about them regarding quality. So check the price and go for what is right.
- Who Is Going to Use It?
Your skills or those of the person who is going to use the drill bit also matter a lot when it comes to choosing the best drill bit. Are you professional enough to handle a drill bit or you are just used to trying things out in the weekend? That too has an impact, and you ought to consider it when making your choice.
- Customer Reviews
Most of the top drill bits for the metal have been there for some time, and there are many buyers who have an experience with them. It, therefore, makes sense to have a look at what other buyers have to go to say about them. You can read details about various drill bits available for sale on Amazon using this link. You’ll not only get details, but you’ll also find lots of customer reviews that can help you make an informed decision about the products you want to buy.
Top Tips for Using Drill Bits to Avoid Breaking
A couple of drill bits for metal can easily be broken if the user does not exercise care while using them. You, of course, wouldn’t want to buy something that will easily break up or even fail to complete the task you had. To achieve that, you need to have a few tips that can help you make your work easier. Here are the top tips you can consider:
- Hold the drill in a steady position since moving it sideways instead of keeping it perpendicular while using it can eventually lead to it getting broken.
- Always apply little pressure especially when starting. Just make sure that the pressure applied is enough for the swarf to start spiraling. Applying more than that can break it
- Exercise extra care when drilling a metal especially when you are almost getting through it.
- Always ensure that you lubricate the bit before use. You should, however, make sure that the lubricant you are using is the right and recommended one
- Use as low speed as possible, and back out of the hole as often as possible to remove particles and material.
- Always make sure that you are using a good cobalt bit (HSS), strong enough to cut through steel.
- Reduce the chance of dulling your drill bits by lubricating the bit: spray a few drops of oil on your working material. This can also help to cool the heat during tractions.
- When drilling into metal, remove the metal drill bits often and clean the metal shavings from the webs and lands of bit. Protect your hands with work gloves.
- Remember that drilling slowly can reduce overheating.
Wrap Up – Conclusion
July Update :
Our best pick for drill bits for metal is the Dewalt DW1354. However, the other bits also provide great versatility with great features, the Irwin set has great value when it comes to material quality and support service. Keep in mind, having the best drill bits set for metal does not mean you can slack off on drilling technique.
There are many things that one needs to know about drill bits for the metal in order to make the right decision. Apart from having knowledge of the top drills in the market, it is also vital to explore other things including materials used, the choice process, and even how to use once you finally get it. With that, you not only get the best but you also ensure that you get the work done in the best way possible. Now you’ve got all this information, getting the best drill bit for metal will be a pretty simple exercise for you.
Source: Familyhandyman, Napaonline.com, Lowes, Quora.