Using a drill and getting the exact hole you want is not always an easy task. Moreover, some drills are a bit tricky to use, especially if you are not trained or you are just a do-it-yourself guy. What’s even more challenging than everything else is the fact that some materials are hard to drill and brittle as well. That means a small mistake can easily cause serious problems. For instance, the material being drilled can get shattered in the process. These are mistakes that no one would wish to make. So what’s the secret to avoiding them? It is simple. Just get the best quality drill guide that helps do the work from the start to the end.
If you are looking for the best drill guide, then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve compared many experts and come up with a list of the best ones that you can consider. The guides in our list are not only high-quality but have all also been reviewed as the best in many sites. You can thus be sure that picking one from our list will help you avoid the frustration that comes with drilling without a guide.
- Here are our Top 5 Best Drill Guides
- Buying, Using and Maintaining Your Drill Guide
Here are our Top 5 Best Drill Guides
#1: Milescraft 1312 DrillBlock Handheld Guide
If you want an inexpensive guide, then the Milescraft DrillBlock Handheld Guide is the option that you should choose. In fact, this is our top pick for the budget. However, the fact that it is cheap does not mean that it performs less than the others. Its features make it not only good for the job, but it is also easier to maintain or keep after use.
Regarding size, this drill guide wouldn’t take much space at your toolbox since it is small. As a matter of fact, it comes with only six guides meaning you can even keep it in a jacket pocket or find a small space for it in your toolbox. You can also keep it in any place that you want providing that it won’t be affected in any way.
When it comes to features, the Milescraft DrillBlock Handheld Guide has non-slip feet that help in keeping it aligned as you drill. Not every drill guide has this feature. Hence, you have all the right reasons to pick this one. Also, the guide comes with centerlines that help in getting the hole at exactly where you want it. Besides, this guide features v-grooves at the bottom, implying that you can use it well on round objects or at the corners. With that said, there is no doubt that this is a drill guide you should consider if looking for one. In a nutshell, this guide has great features and is cheap as well. Warranty details and price are available on Amazon.
Why the Milescraft DrillBlock Handheld Guide?
- It has centerlines that help get the hole exactly at the place you want
- You can use it at corners or round objects and get a perfect hole
- It is the best option for the budget
- You can only use it well with long drill bits to reach through the guide, but this shouldn’t be a big problem
#2: Jig It Drill Guide
If you want more precise holes, especially when drilling slippery or brittle surfaces, then the Jig It Drill Guide can be a great option. It helps you keep the drill bit steady as you use it. Ideally, this guide is designed in a way that it works best for medium-sized workshops. Unlike some other guides, the Jig It Drill Guide is a bit light meaning that you won’t have to worry about how you’ll hold or carry it when drilling. Although it can be used in a variety of materials, experts and those of have used it often recommend it for woodwork.
When it comes to features, Jig It Drill Guide measures 2.5” high and has an interior diameter of 3.5”. The guide also has a sturdy plastic, but its design may not allow you to use it with a drill press. Aside from that, overall, this guide is one of those you can always trust to help you do a good job when it comes to drilling. It sells in a couple of online stores, and it is reasonably priced hence you won’t have to blow your wallet to get it.
- It is very steady and the best for precise holes
- It is quite portable compared to similar products
- Drills perfectly centered holes when used well and with the right bits
- You cannot use it with a drill press
#3: Big Gator Tools STD1000DGNP V-Drill Guide – The best drill guide
The Big Gator Tools STD1000DGNP V-Drill Guide is an excellent option for anyone looking for a portable drill guide. Apart from portability, this drill guide is also highly durable because it is made of nickel alloyed still that is heat-treated. Also, it has a light oil coating that helps prevent rust hence you can use it for long without having to get worried about rust and other stuff that contribute to wearing out the guide.
Overall, from the many reviews by customers who have bought and used the Big Gator Tools STD1000DGNP V-Drill Guide, this guide works as advertised. It is hailed as the best guide for those looking to drill straight holes. This is because it has lines that help show you exactly where you are drilling. It is, therefore, the best option that one should consider when deciding on guides. With this option, you are assured of doing your job perfectly provided you use the guide as recommended. Overall, this is our top pick based on its performance. Price and warranty details are available on Amazon.
- It accommodates up to 17 different drill sizes meaning that one can use for a wide array of drilling activities
- It is the best product that works well when one needs an accurate hole
- It has amazing features, and it is competitively priced
- Although helpful, the lines on it are a bit difficult to see
#4: General Tools 36/37, Accudrill Precision Drill Guide
Although it a relatively new product, the General Tools 36/37, Accudrill Precision Drill Guide is also another great guide worth considering. It has great features that give it a competitive edge over its rivals in the industry. It is the best option if you want a guide that performs well when it comes to angled drilling. You can also use it if you want a powerful tool for edge sanding, doweling, and plug cutting. Provided you know to handle this guide, you can be sure that you’ll get excellent results. Being a new product that is yet to receive comments from users, there is a lot that one should explore. For instance, it has a power drill protractor that allows for the adjustment of the drill’s angle. Also, there are a couple of settings that allow one to determine the nature of the hole that’s drilled in terms of depth and other features.
- It has great features for enhanced performance
- It is highly versatile and can be used for several different drilling tasks with a couple of drilling bits
- No comments yet about any disadvantages of using this drill guide
#5: Dremel 335-01 Plunge Router Attachment
If you want a drill guide that has been there in the market for long and is still a marketable one, then the Dremel 335-01 Plunge Router Attachment could be your option. This guide has received hundreds of reviews and is still ranked among the top guides. It is a perfect choice for rotary tool models that include 400, 395, 395, and 300, among others. So if you have any of these tools and you need a guide system that will work best with them, then look no further since the Dremel 335-01 Plunge Router will perfectly meet your needs.
While the Dremel 335-01 generally performs well, there is, however, one thing that anyone interested in using it should note. You have to use only specific accessories that work well with this router. Away from that, this router has a great design that makes it a favorite for many. It has a combined plastic and metal construction, and if used well, it can last for long and remains to perform well. Indeed, you have no reason not to consider this option. Price, as well as warranty information from the manufacturer, is available on Amazon. It can be shipped to many countries, and it has received a lot of positive reviews.
- It can be used for cutting as well as routing and it performs well
- It is pretty easy to use and adjust compared to other similar product
- It might not do very well with big projects since it is designed for small projects
Buying, Using and Maintaining Your Drill Guide
Drill guides are important tools, and if you manage to get the best, then you’ll never have problems whenever you want to drill during renovation/construction. But then there is a challenge when it comes to selecting one from the many options out there. From our list of top five brands, there are many features that can guide one to getting the best from the options given. However, that’s not all that should do since a couple of other things are also very vital, and you should consider them as well. To help make your work easier, we’ve put together all the information that you need. Here we go:
While it might look like an easy task, buying a good drill guide can at times be an uphill task. This is the case since there are so many sellers out there each claiming to sell the best guides. One, therefore, needs to have a way of determining the legit sellers from others who might only be out to reap from unsuspecting buyers. So to avoid being a victim, here are a couple of things that you should ask yourself:
- Is there seller authorized to sell? Manufacturers have different ways of marketing and selling their products. If you want an original product, look for it from an authorized seller. You can check the list of authorized outlets from manufacturer’s site.
- How is it going to be delivered? Buying does not end at paying for the product. You have to ask yourself how it is going to get delivered to your place. Failure to note this might frustrate you since it might take longer than you expected before you get the product. Find out in advance how long it will take for the guide to be delivered to you.
- Is the warranty information provided enough and satisfactory? It is possible sometimes to buy a new product and find it faulty already even before you use it. If you’ve been buying stuff, you must have come across such situations in the past. It is, thus, very wise and recommended that you get warranty information and see if it satisfies you before you make a purchase.
- Is the price reasonable or inflated? You, of course, won’t be happy to pay more when there could be a possibility of paying less for the same product. While in most cases, high prices reflect the better quality that is not always the case. You can, at times, pay high for an inferior product and vice-versa. So the take-home point here is that you should make price comparisons before buying.
After buying your dream drill guide, how you use it at home is also very vital. So ask yourself who’s going to use it? Are you going to use or you’ll hire sometime to help you drill with it? If you are the one using, then there are types of guides for you. On the other hand, there are also other guides that can only be handled by pros. Get the right one depending on who is going to use it once bought
Still, on the part of using the drill guide, there is also another important aspect that many buyers often forget. Are you going to use it for small tasks such as those that are done during renovations or you want one for a big project? Some drill guides are already shown in the top-five list are good for small projects while others are good for big projects. You can only get the right one if you know what you intend to do with it.
You should also be aware of other tools that you need to use together with drill guides. Some guides work only with specific bits and other accessories. That means if you don’t get the right tools to use together with your guide, you might not perform the job you have well. So do your homework well and have the right information. That will help you get the right guide as well as the other tools necessary to be used together.
Nearly everyone who owns a drill guide is guilty of not maintaining it, especially after use. In fact, guides and other tools, including drill bits, are usually taken for granted. What many people do not know is that failing to keep them in the required condition contributes to rapid wear and tear. That means instead of using it for a couple of years before buying another one, you’ll be forced to keep getting news ones each time you want to drill.
Maintenance is not a tough task, as many people tend to think. In simple terms, you just need to ensure that once you are done with your tool, clean it and store it well. If you develop a habit of doing that every time after you use it, rest assured that you’ll enjoy the durability. You only need to do maintenance a few times every year, and you’ll extend the life of your drill guide. Maintenance is not, however, a simple task that anyone can do. You might have to seek the help of a pro who understands what it’s all about.
In conclusion, getting the best drill guide is not an easy task. Besides knowing the best brands in the market, one should also know how to get, use, and keep it after use. It is very easy to get the wrong thing these days because of the many numbers of dealers out there selling similar items. Truth be told, a simple search on the internet will lead you to many websites and out-dated articles. Some are genuine and known to be reputable sellers. On the other hand, there are also others that sell them, but you might not get the right guides. Our list of top five makes your work easy so that you can pick one and buy it reputable platforms like Amazon.
Our “guides” for drilling tools: