A router is a tool which is quite versatile, which could perform various tasks as per accordance. It is certainly a difficult task, to mount a router to the router table. It also adds a sense of versatility to any router and allows the tool to work in both ways, upside and upside down. Router tables are available in various sizes and could be found in both portable and stationary types. This article will be a complete guide for you about the subject; teach you how to perform the simple task of mounting a router to a router table.
Why do you need to mount the router?
Well, it helps to perform complex tasks conveniently, hand-held machine bound to fewer tasks only.
It is simple to mount the router on to the table when you have a table with appropriate space for the fixture. Anyhow, here is how one can mount it perfectly.
Before you start, keep a check on what you need; as this task is pretty simple one you only need few things.
- ROUTER, OBVIOUSLY
- ROUTER TABLE
- The router must be unplugged and remove if there’s any router bit in the position. (BTW, see this guide to find out the best router bits you can get in America)
- Find the location of mounting screws first and remove them. (YOU WILL BE NEEDING THEM WHILE YOU ATTACH THE ROUTER TO THE TABLE).
- Make sure the place where you have put the table doesn’t slip to minimize the risk of accidents.
- All set to proceed.
A quick description of router table types:
- Buyer has a choice to get a router table with insert plates, so it becomes easy to find the one that fits your router. However, if you fail to find one, you can choose a standard router table and reshape it as per accordance.
- After getting the router table, check the position of the insert table and find out the mounting holes to track the points that secure the router base. Have a look at the screw or bolt fixture along with nuts and washers needed for the instalment. In case, the insert plate is improper or incorrect, exchange the table from the manufacturer.
- Find out the need to re-drill the parts and also additional needs to install the router in a proper manner. When satisfied with the adjustments, one may proceed to install it.
GUIDELINE TO MOUNT THE ROUTER:
When you have checked about the table and its components, you are good to go through the installing procedure.
Step 1: Fit the insert plate:
The elements needed for the fixture of a specific router may vary according to the router model. Generally, some bolts and some locknuts are essential to perform the task perfectly.
- Insert the adjustment bolts over the corners of the rebated bracket, which you can insert under the table while secure it with the nuts (usually nyloc nuts) with the rings that face upward.
- Now place carefully the insert plate into the space that has been cut open in the table and let it rest on the rebated bracket. Make sure that the threaded hole is located at the right side on the front of the table to lead the screw.
- Insert table has to be fixed properly and levelled with the surface of table, if not press the plate downwards with the help of a screwdriver until it reaches the level of the table.
- The work with the insert plate is almost completed, just check out the angle of the plate with an angle ruler. It should be placed at an angle of 180 degrees, so when the pressure is built over the router it doesn’t collapse. Also, it is important to be equally balanced on all four sides. After the plate is positioned properly, put the remaining four nuts on each side to attach it strongly.
Some tips to choose and fix the correct ring for the insert plate:
Insert ring is the ultimate support for the insert plate. There are various sizes these rings used with different types of cutters. It is important to find the accurate ring and cutter in order to avoid problems regarding the instalment, which are available both separately and as one.
An ideal insert ring is 6mm thicker than its cutter’s diameter size. In this way, it will allow an extra spacing of 3mm around its cutter, which helps to spin without any kind of restrictions.
Step 2: Mount the router:
Now, this is the main step which requires the most attention and depends wholly on the previous step. If the plate is installed perfectly, you can proceed to this step.
- When your complete inspection is done, you have to turn the table down on its sides and put the router adjacent to the line of the fixture holes. The router has to be placed accurately on the bottom side of the plate in a way that the correct secure points that have been identified earlier.
- The router has to be attached with the plate by using proper bolts at proper spacing, they are inserted into the plate which eventually connects the base of your router.
- Once this step is completed, you have to insert more nuts if the router is not fixed in the correct way.
- Now, place the router at the place securely.
A router table is made in a way which has a spacing to attach a fixed router base. It is essential to take care of every minor detail, like the tightness of bolts or the proper placement of the plate below the table while the above side of the router is also tighter not to bang your face off.
After everything is done properly and completely, you are all set to turn the router on.
Router table guide: