A sump pump is used to get rid of water that has collected in a sump basin. If you have a basement in your home, you probably already know the need of having a good submersible sump pump.
Unlike most of my other articles, I’m going to straight-up offer my thoughts over several excellent sump pump models on the market. You might ask why a submersible sump pump in particular? Here are some of the reasons why I like submersible sump pump than other pumps:
- A submersible sump pump is a high-end model of a sump pump that’s designed to be installed inside of your sump pit.
- A good submersible sump pump that is properly installed is a reliable and powerful pump that will serve you well for years.
- A good submersible sump pump system rarely gets overheated due to being able to release operating heat to underground water.
- Submersible sump pumps are much quieter than other pumps because of the cover of the airtight lid on top of the sump pit.
- And lastly, submersible sump pumps are made to be of higher quality than most other pump systems.
Let’s not waste your time anymore and go over our selected top picks of best submersible sump pumps on the market.
- The Best Overall Submersible Sump Pumps
- Wayne WSS30VN Upgraded Combination 1/2 HP and 12-Volt Battery Back-Up System Submersible Sump Pump
- Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
- Barnes 115369 Model SP75AX Submersible Cast Iron Sump Pump – 3/4 HP, 4,800 GPH, 20′ Cord, Piggy Back Mechanical Float Switch, For Residential Applications.
- WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Stainless-Steel Sump Pump with Integrated Vertical Float Switch
- Superior Pump 92341 1/3 HP Cast Iron Submersible Sump Pump with Vertical Float Switch
- Barnes 112551 Model SP33VF Submersible Cast Iron Sump Pump – 1/3 HP, 3,000 GPH, 10′ Cord, Piggy Back Mechanical Float Switch, For Residential Use
- DEKO Sump Pump 1/2HP 1981GPH 400W Submersible Pump Clean/Dirty Water Pump Swimming Pool Garden Tub Pond Flood Drain w/Float Switch and Long 16ft Cable
- Conclusion – Final pick the best submersible sump pump
The Best Overall Submersible Sump Pumps
Wayne WSS30VN Upgraded Combination 1/2 HP and 12-Volt Battery Back-Up System Submersible Sump Pump
With the attributes, it offers it’s no surprise that the Wayne WSS30VN is the best overall when it comes to reliability.
Features and specs
- Includes a backup 12V DC pump which at 0ft. It can reach a maximum of 2900 GPH.
- At 0 ft-head the primary pump can reach a maximum 5100 GPH.
- Comes with a steel housing that is epoxy coated and a bottom that is made of cast iron.
- It includes an Ultra-Quiet system.
- It has a float switch for its primary pump and comes with a million cycles of tests which is ten times more than its competitors.
- It includes top and lower stainless-steel float guards which come with a float guide.
- In case there’s a power outage, the secondary pump will still run, giving you a couple of hours of protection.
- It produces minimal noise.
- 0.5HP motor it comes with can pump a whole 3300 gallons of water in an hour.
- It comes fully pre-assembled and is ready for work at the drop.
- It’s quite expensive compared to similar products.
- The check valve is required for the system with which it does not come.
Question: What is the recommended battery for the Wayne WSS30VN?
Answer: Both the marine type and deep cell batteries are best suited for this.
Question: Are its check valves noisy?
Answer: They are extremely quiet, and you will hardly hear mechanical noises from the entire pump.
This product might be expensive, but you do get value for what you pay for as it is both top qualities and is a top performer compared to similar products.
Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
The Zoeller M53 is preferred by a large number of either contractors or plumbers as it solves wastewater problems in both commercial and residential areas.
Features and Specs
- 1/3HP motor housing made of cast iron with a vortex impeller that is plastic.
- It has a 9ft. Long power cord.
- 1.5-inch discharge and passes 0.5-inch spherical solids.
- The model is automatic with a float switch that has integral activation.
- At 5-inch height, it can pump 43 gallons in a minute and a 19.25 height shut off.
- It includes a 3/10HP pump which is used in both septic tanks and sump pits in residential areas.
- The SS, CI fasteners are coated with powder epoxy.
- It is made for durability and will be of service for many years.
- This pump can pump a vast volume of water fast.
- It has been made to perform its tasks while still producing minimal noise.
- The float switch has an issue with its range which is a little bit too short and is not adjustable for the most common sump pits.
Question: Is it alright to keep the pump running at all times?
Answer: not, if the pit is almost empty, its float will shut it down.
Question: Does the Zoeller M53 get damaged by saltwater?
Answer: The pump is iron made, and salt is corrosive to it. So yes, the pump will be damaged and so would all other sump pumps.
Question: At what rate will the pump displace water at different feet?
Answer: It does 2680 GPH, 2040 GPH, 2040 GPH, and 1140 GPH at 0 feet, 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet respectively and will not work at 20 feet.
Zoeller M53 Mighty-mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp is a durable sump pump that will serve you for a long time. it will also enable you pump large volumes of water at a go.
Barnes 115369 Model SP75AX Submersible Cast Iron Sump Pump – 3/4 HP, 4,800 GPH, 20′ Cord, Piggy Back Mechanical Float Switch, For Residential Applications.
This sump pump has been made explicitly for residential tasks, but it can also be used for simple commercial tasks.
Features and Specs
- It has a 20 feet long power cord that is waterproofed.
- It includes a 1.5-inch NPT outlet pipe and passes a maximum of 0.5 inches of spherical solids.
- The thermal overload protects from motor failure or dangerous overheating.
- It has the capability to pump water to a maximum 33ft.
- Its shaft and the hardware are made of stainless steel, the seal is made of high capacity industrial carbon and comes with its ball bearings oil lubricated.
- The split capacitor maximizes motor life, performance, reliability and enables excellent starting torque while drawing low amp.
- Its two-year limited warranty means you can return the product in case you find it flawed.
- It has thermal protection which means you won’t have to deal with the motor failing from excessive overheating.
- It has a high pumping capability.
- It is not suited for heavy-duty applications.
Question: Can an ordinary garden hose fit this pump?
Answer: Yes, but you will need appropriate reduction fittings which are 1.5 inches for the outlet.
Question: At what volts is this pump available?
Answer: It only comes a single 120volts phase.
Question: Can I use this unit to pump oil?
Answer: The unit is best suited for either water or sewage; the cord is not made to handle oil. I would advise you not to use this pump for this application.
The product is of high quality that will serve you well for many years.
WAYNE CDU980E 3/4 HP Submersible Cast Iron and Stainless-Steel Sump Pump with Integrated Vertical Float Switch
This unit has been specially made for indoor applications and sum pits with an 11 inch or larger diameter.
Features and Specs
- It includes a vertical switch and it comes with a whopping million cycles of tests.
- It is capable of a maximum 4600 GPH and at 10ft. It can do 3500 GPH.
- It has an NPT discharge which is 1.5 inches.
- It has a 0.75 HP performance motor.
- The impeller is reinforced with polycarbonate.
- Its fasteners and the motor housing are made of stainless steel.
- Its motor is thermally protected, which prevents overheating.
- It has a quality suction design that reduces clogging by filtering debris.
- It is highly portable, so you don’t have to get too worked up about moving it around.
- It is pretty easy to install and does not require plumbing changes.
- It comes with a 60-month warranty which guarantees you won’t miss any manufactures flaws as you have a more extended period to test and use it.
- It is limited in the tasks it can carry out as it has been made for indoor applications.
Question: Is the WAYNE CDU980E unit self-priming?
Answer: Yes, it is. If you need the float switch activated sooner, you can place an empty thread of Styrofoam over the float.
Question: What is the length of its power cord?
Answer: It is 90 inches long.
Question: How long will the pump run when the floater switches it on?
Answer: It can run for hours as long as it doesn’t outrun inflowing water.
This unit is for the budget pick and will still help solve your unwanted flood and groundwater problems.
Superior Pump 92341 1/3 HP Cast Iron Submersible Sump Pump with Vertical Float Switch
This pump has been made to last, and it is robust, reliable and is one of the cheapest you will find.
Features and Specs
- Its housing has a single piece motor that significantly improves its heat efficiency.
- It is easy to clean thanks to a removable intake screen.
- It has a split capacitor that enables continuous operation.
- It is wired with solid copper which ensures durability.
- It includes duel seals that protect from failure as they prevent water from entering the motor housing.
- The shaft is made of stainless steel that is of substantial duty quality.
- It includes an NPT discharge that is 1.5 inches wide that aids in its high capacity pumping.
- Its cord is 10ft. Long.
- It includes a 1/3 HP pump that reaches a maximum 2760 GPH and can pump water to a maximum 25ft. Height.
- It has a long operational life.
- It is budget-friendly compared to similar products.
- Installing it is quite easy, fast and doesn’t require much expertise.
- It doesn’t come with a check valve which you might have to buy adding on to the original cost of this unit.
Question: Does this pump require a check valve?
Answer: Not necessary, but I would advise you to install one as it prevents backflow once you have stopped pumping.
Question: How full is this pump’s outlet?
Answer: It has a 1.5-inch outlet.
Question: When constantly running for half an hour, what does this pump draw the power?
Answer: This unit uses typically 4.1 amps which is similar to a 450 watts light bulb.
This unit is not only the budget pick but is also an exquisite solid pump.
Barnes 112551 Model SP33VF Submersible Cast Iron Sump Pump – 1/3 HP, 3,000 GPH, 10′ Cord, Piggy Back Mechanical Float Switch, For Residential Use
This unit has been made for residential applications and has a compact and efficient frame that packs an incredible amount of power.
Features and Specs
- It has a split capacitor which enables an excellent starting torque, reduces amp draw and increases the reliability, performance and life of the motor.
- It includes a 1.5-inch NPT outlet, passes 0.5-inch spherical solids, can pump water vertically to a maximum 30ft and is also capable of 3450 RPM which all enable for a high-level pumping capacity.
- It has thermal protection that prevents the motor from failing and from dangerous overheating.
- The shaft and the hardware are made of stainless steel, the seal is made of high-grade industrial ceramic or carbon, and it comes with ball bearings that are oil lubricated.
- It includes a10ft long cord.
- It has inbuilt protection that prevents the motor from failure due to excessive overheating.
- It has been built with the highest quality materials for sump pumps which ensures your pump will last for longer.
- If you buy it new from the manufacturer, you get a year’s extended warranty.
- It is limited to only light commercial tasks and residential applications, which means you will not be able to do the heavy-duty tasks with this pump.
Question: What are the rated amps for this pump?
Answer: It draws 5.8 amps.
Question: Is there a water amount limit required to pump and which type of hose will I be needed to use?
Answer: I would recommend submerging the pump halfway up its motor housing. You can use whichever type of hose you wish as there isn’t a specifically recommended one.
Question: Is there a difference between a vertical and a wide-angle float?
Answer: Yes, the wide-angle has a loose float which rises and falls with by its self as the water level changes.
This unit has been made to last for a long while still maintaining its efficiency and would be helpful to any household.
DEKO Sump Pump 1/2HP 1981GPH 400W Submersible Pump Clean/Dirty Water Pump Swimming Pool Garden Tub Pond Flood Drain w/Float Switch and Long 16ft Cable
This unit is most useful for utility or household applications such as draining swimming pools, garden ponds, cellars and similar things.
Features and Specs
- It has a powerful pump with a 0.5 HP motor with a maximum lift of 16ft and a 1981 GPH rating and passes 0.5-inch solids.
- It includes multi discharge sizes as it can fit either 1.25 inch or 1.5-inch hoses. Also has three fittings of 1 inch, 1.25inch and 1.5-inch diameters which gives you different choices depending on the rate of flow.
- It has an automatic switch which at below 4.7 inches and above 4.7 inch turns on and off the power respectively by its own.
- It has a thermoplastic body which gives it the ability to resist corrosion.
- It has protection from thermal overload, which gives this unit durability.
- It is one of the cheapest sump pumps available in the market.
- It has a powerful 0.5 HP motor that will serve all your household applications.
- It does not include an on and off switch which means the water level is the only determiner if the pump is working or not.
Question: Is a garden hose compatible with the discharge line?
Answer: No, but there are adapters that will help it fit.
Question: What is the entire height of this pump?
Answer: It has a height of 15 inches.
If you are on a tight budget, this is the best option for you.
Conclusion – Final pick the best submersible sump pump
I like the Wayne WSS30VN due to having a battery back up system and it can quite smoothly, does not make much noise. At my age, I appreciate having a quiet home more than ever. However, there are also other budget choices for you to select the best submersible sump pump for your needs.
There are different types of sump pumps, all of which are used to perform different functions. This article gives a detailed review of three types of sump pumps, namely submersible sump pumps. If you are looking looking for other types of sump pumps, check out our guide here:
Find a comprehensive review of these types of sump pumps to find the one that best suits your needs and preferences.