A crawl space is an area in a building that has a low roof where you may need to watch your head when entering the place to ensure you do not get hit. The space may be filled with water due to various reasons such as leaking taps or rain water that finds its way to the space. During such occurrences, the easiest way to get rid of the excess water is by pumping it out, which is where a sump pump comes in.
However, it may be difficult to find a good sump pump that can work well in your crawl space due to the many brands available in the market today. This article provides a comprehensive review of the best sump pumps for your crawl space that have various features.
- Best sump pumps for crawl space with reviews
- Wayne 57729-WYN1 EEAUP250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Electric Water Removal Pump
- Utilitech 0.33-HPThermoplastic Pedestal Sump Pump
- Liberty Pumps 287 1/2-Horse Power 1-1/2-Inch Discharge 280-Series Automatic Submersible Sump Pump with VMF Switch
- Liberty Pumps 237 1/3-Horse Power 1-1/2-Inch Discharge 230-Series Automatic Submersible Sump Pump with VMF Switch
- Utilitech 0.33-HPAluminum Submersible Sump Pump
- Flotec FPZS50T Submersible Sump Pump With Tethered Float Switch, 4200 Gph, 1/2 Hp, 115 Vac, 60 Hz
- Zoeller M63 Premium Series 5 Year Warranty Mighty-Mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
- Final Thought
Best sump pumps for crawl space with reviews
Here is our selected list of the top sump pumps for crawl space on the market.
Wayne 57729-WYN1 EEAUP250 1/4 HP Automatic ON/OFF Electric Water Removal Pump
The Wayne EEAUP250 pump has been made for residential applications such as crawl spaces, window wells and more similar potential areas.
Features and Specs
- It has an automatic switch that turns the pump on or off using its sensor and pumps down to a 3/8-inch water level.
- It has a relatively powerful 0.25 HP motor that can pump 3000 GPH and 1850 GPH at 0 inches and 10 inches respectively.
- It is sealed with thermoplastic which is corrosive resistant.
- The pump requires a minimum water level of 1.75 inches to operate, prime and cycle as anything below that will make it impossible for the impeller to reach the water which means that the water will not be pumped.
- It can stay unattended to pump water out.
- It has a powerful motor that drains your unwanted water within a short period.
- It is portable thanks to the carrying handle, which means you can easily take it anywhere it’s needed.
- This pumps’ switch is the weak link of this unit as it malfunctions typically regularly.
- It easily gets clogged, which causes the switch housing to get contaminated with debris, algae, slime and more materials that accumulate on its underside.
Question: Does this pump require a check valve?
Answer: It’s not necessary, but it is advisable to have one as it prevents the backflow of water you had already pumped out.
Question: What is the length of the power cord?
Answer: It is 8ft. Long.
Question: Can this unit be used outside?
Answer: Yes, it can be used for outdoor applications.
The Wayne EEAUP250 automatic capabilities and easy installation are its most unique features which make it the preferred crawl space sump pump.
Utilitech 0.33-HPThermoplastic Pedestal Sump Pump
This pump has been made to handle wastewater for indoors and is coated with a corrosive-resistant material which ensures durability.
Features and Specs
- This unit is sealed with thermoplastic which is corrosion resistant.
- It has an adjustable vertical switch mounted at the top which makes it easy to access.
- It has a 1/3 HP motor which can pump 60 GPM and passes 3/16-inch solids.
- It has a 1.5-inch FNPT outlet.
- The motor is rated at 115V PSC, which means its carbon footprint is very low.
- It is a continuous duty which means you can leave it unattended for an extended period.
- Has a powerful 1/3 HP motor that clears wastewater quickly.
- Can only pass small-sized debris which limits its applications.
Question: What is the water of the pump flow at gallons per hour?
Answer: It pumps water at a rate of 3600 gallons per hour at 0 inches.
Question: What is the shutoff point of this pump?
Answer: This unit lifts water to a maximum vertical height of 20 inches.
With features like continuous duty and the automatic switch system means it doesn’t require your presence to carry out its applications making it the preferred option for those who don’t wish to wait around for wastewater to be cleared.
Liberty Pumps 287 1/2-Horse Power 1-1/2-Inch Discharge 280-Series Automatic Submersible Sump Pump with VMF Switch
This pump has been made for mound systems, step systems, wastewater transfer and similar high output applications.
Features and Specs
- This pump can lift water to a maximum 37ft, and can handle 0.75-inch solids.
- The motor is hermetically sealed and has thermal overload protection.
- This unit is capable of pumping 67 GPM at 0ft.
- It has a quick-disconnect power cord that is 10ft long. This cable enables you to quickly replace the cord without breaking the seals that go to the motor.
- Has a magnetic VMF switch which is suited for small pits with a minimum 10inch diameter.
- It has a powerful 0.5 HP motor with a 1.5-inch outlet.
- It comes with a bottom screen which is removable and is made of stainless steel.
- Its lower, upper bearing has been permanently lubricated.
- It is easy to install.
- It has a powerful motor that hardly makes any noise.
- It is easy to clean the pump thanks to the removable screen.
- It is relatively more expensive compared to similar pumps.
Question: Can this unit fit in a 5-gallon bucket?
Answer: It fits in an 11-inch diameter by 14-inch height 5gallon pail with extra 1-inch space on the side the piping will be located.
Question: Can you manually run this pump in case there is a switch failure?
Answer: No, you cannot manually turn it on; you should replace the failed switch.
Question: Can the thermal overload switch in this pump reset automatically?
Answer: Yes, it can. The motors thermal overload temperature is 105¢ªC / 221¡ÆF. This pump does not have a manual reset switch.
This sump pump is robust, reliable and is efficient at crawl space application.
Liberty Pumps 237 1/3-Horse Power 1-1/2-Inch Discharge 230-Series Automatic Submersible Sump Pump with VMF Switch
This unit has been built to last with high-quality components.
Features and Specs
- It is capable of passing 3/8-inch solids.
- It has a 1/3 HP motor that pumps 37 GPM at 5ft height and can lift water a maximum 21ft.
- Has a magnetic VMF switch which is suited for pits with a minimum diameter of 10 inches.
- Has an efficient motor that uses about 40% less power
- The fasteners in this unit are coated with corrosive resistant stainless steel.
- Has a quiet and powerful motor that clears wastewater quickly.
- It is easy to install, and all you need to do is follow the simple instructions that come with this unit.
- Has a low carbon footprint and your electric bill will not increase significantly as the motor of the pump uses 40%less power.
- It is easy to attach and detach the power code in this unit.
- Doesn’t come with a check valve which means you will be needed to spend more money on the pump.
Question: How low does the water level need to be in a sump basin for this unit to pump out water?
Answer: This pump requires water levels above 0.5 inches for it to be able to pump the water out.
Question: Can a 5/8-inch garden hose work with this pump?
Answer: Yes, but you will require appropriate adapters for it to work. You should be aware that doing this burdens the motor, which is why this ill-advised.
Question: What amps does this pump run on?
Answer: It needs eight amps for it to start.
If you need a sump pump that will fit small pits and crawl spaces, then this is a right pump for you
Utilitech 0.33-HPAluminum Submersible Sump Pump
This pump is purposed to protect your crawl space and basement from unwanted water.
Features and Specs
- It has a 1/3 HP motor that pumps out water at 40 GPM.
- It has a tethered switch that enables reliable and long-running life.
- It requires a minimum basin size of 12inches by 18 inches.
- It has a 1.5-inch NPT outlet and a 9ft long power cord.
- It comes with an information booklet.
- It has a construction of corrosion-resistant cast aluminium with a screened base that enables long term debris protection.
- The information booklet provides easy guidelines of how to quickly install and use this pump which means you don’t need to pay a professional for the installation work as you can do it yourself if you wish to.
- It has a powerful motor that will quickly clear out your unwanted water.
- Has been built with high-quality components and material that make it reliable and long-lasting meaning you won’t be needed to replace this pump for many years to come.
- Can only be used indoors or on very light commercial applications which means it won’t be useful in the substantial duty activities.
Question: Can the discharge be reduced down to 0.75 inches?
Answer: Yes, it can, although doing so, would severely hamper with the pumps’ performance and might even damage it. The outlet pipe should be kept at 1.5 inches for optimal performance.
Question: At what depths does the pump trigger and cycle off?
Answer: It turns on at around 14 inches at which point the float is fully upside down and turns off at about 7 inches.
Question: Can I use this pump outdoors?
Answer: Yes, this unit can be used outdoors and indoors.
This pump is a robust and reliable sump pump that can be used in all your crawl space sump applications.
Flotec FPZS50T Submersible Sump Pump With Tethered Float Switch, 4200 Gph, 1/2 Hp, 115 Vac, 60 Hz
This pump is designed to fit in small spaces and is, therefore, a good fit for your crawl spaces.
Features and Specs
- Has a 0.5 HP motor which has thermal overload shielding.
- It includes an automatic switch which has is designed to fit a sump basin with a minimum diameter of 14 inches.
- It has a piggy-back switch design for both manual and automatic operation.
- It is made in China.
- It is relatively cheap compared to similar products.
- It provides you with the option of either using a manual switch or an automatic switch thanks to its piggyback switch design.
- It will not be helpful in carrying out the heavy applications as it has been designed for standard indoor applications.
Question: Can this pump be used for a waterfall?
Answer: No. This pump is not suited for this application as it is not designed for continuous run.
Question: Can this pump be used to drain pools?
Answer: Yes, but it is going to take a long while to complete this task, and you might be needed to frequently unplug it to let it cool down so that it doesn’t overheat.
Question: What is the outlet size and lift of this pump?
Answer: The outlet size is 1.5 inches and pumps 4200 GPH at 0ft. and will not lift the water over a vertical 22inches.
The features of This pump make it a good option for those looking for a sump pump for crawl spaces.
Zoeller M63 Premium Series 5 Year Warranty Mighty-Mate Submersible Sump Pump, 1/3 Hp
This pump is made to handle both residential and commercial applications.
Features and Specs
- The motor housing is made of cast iron.
- Has a 0.3 HP motor that has a 43 GPM maximum flow at 0 inches.
- The screws are made of stainless steel
- Has a 1.5-inch outlet and is capable of passing 0.5 inches.
- It has a neoprene square ring between the pump housing solid and motor.
- The motor has thermal overload protection which prevents it from failure due to excess overheating, ensuring it can run smoothly for an extended period.
- It does not have sheet metal components which rust and are easily corroded.
- Has been made with high quality materials and components which give it a long-running and reliable life.
- Has been made to handle large debris without getting clogged.
- It is protected from overheating, which is a significant contributor to motor failures.
- It is a little bit expensive.
Question: Can this unit be modified for a battery backup?
Answer: Yes, what would be needed is an inverter and a few deep cycle batteries. You should consider what is cheaper buying a new pump with a 12 DC voltage or adapting this pump to a battery backup; either way, it is going to be an expensive expenditure.
Question: Is there any moving parts, including the impeller made of plastic?
Answer: This unit has a cast iron impeller and base; the only plastic part is the float.
Question: How long is the power cord?
Answer: It is 10ft. Long.
This pump has impressive features that make it one of the most reliable sump pumps for crawl space in the market.
This article has concentrated on reviewing the best sump pumps while pinpointing their various features. You can, therefore, choose the best sump pumps for crawl space for you by reading through the article to find which pump has the features that you need.